What to Ask
Before hiring exterior or interior painting contractors, there are several important questions to ask to ensure the job is finished the way you want it.
What is the cost? It is always a good idea to get a few estimates from painting companies to get the best deal possible. While saving money is usually a good thing, you also want to make sure the company has your best interests at heart. Make sure you have a clear understanding of what the company can offer you in terms of work before agreeing to using their services.
- How long have you been in business? Longevity is another important factor worth considering. A company that has been in business for a substantial amount of time is more likely to be trustworthy, and can easily demonstrate past success through online reviews and testimonials. Dixon Painting has been in business since 2003. That’s 13 years of reliable customer service!
- Are you clear on what I need specifically? Reiterate to potential contractors your envisioned plans with thorough descriptions of the job at hand. You will want to make sure you are both on the same page to ensure you are satisfied with the final result.
- Can you provide references? Ask your painter for some examples of previous work they have completed to see if it meets or exceeds your expectations. It is also recommended that you browse company reviews online, if available, to judge how others rated their level of service. Be sure to a look at their standing with the Better Business Bureau, too.
- What type of materials do you plan on using? There is a big difference between $10 and $50 cans of paint, so make sure your budget accordingly in order to receive high quality results.
- Have your employees been formally trained? Avoid dealing with “amateur hour” by confirming that the team responsible for the job has received education on best practices, not only in terms of painting, but on-the-job safety measures as well.
Does this project come with a warranty? Nothing offers peace of mind quite like a solid warranty. Make sure you are clear on the terms of the warranty, such as the warranty expiration date and any special inclusions or exclusions.
Once you have narrowed down or settled on a particular painting service, there are some other questions to consider asking about the contract before signing:
- What specific areas of the home or building will be painted? (i.e., trim, walls, molding, etc.)
- Can you explain to me in detail your preparation and cleanup process?
- Do you have paint swatches available so I can spend some time looking at the colors we plan to use?
- How do you go about protecting certain items, such as furniture, carpet, and cabinets?
- Can you give me an estimated timeframe on how long I can expect this project to last from start to finish?
- When do I need to pay you, and what type of payment options do you accept?
By taking the time to interview the right company for your exterior or interior painting project, you can rest assured knowing that the work is in fully capable hands.